Saturday, June 21, 2008

June 21, 2008 || First Day of Our Class: Sport

Took too long of a nap yesterday--didn't fall asleep nearly early enough. Yesterday we performed out fan dance in front of Robin Hood and Carolina again, and saw Robin Hood's plays as well--it was pretty funny to see half the staff dressed up like knights, Robin Hood, foreigners from Palestine, and sorceresses; I'll have to see if I can find pictures [http://www.robincamp.ru/summer2008.htm?id=79 we're in 12].
The kids are really eager to talk to us, which is awesome--we sit at the staff table for lunch and every time a group walks past, there's someone who shouts hello (either in English, Russian, or Japanese, since that's the focus of Carolina camp) or wishing us Bon Appetit in Russian. Even cuter is when children who haven't eaten any of their meal bring it over for us (nothing goes to waste in Russia). Normally they give it to their camp counselors or the other staff, but it's really cute when they give it to us. Desi gets it more than I, probably 'cause they're worried about her wasting away. Olga (different from Olya) caught me snacking on peanut butter today when the maid was washing our floor (there's still a lot of purple marks from earlier scraped elbows and the like). We talked a long time, making it quite impossible to read (I am THIS close to finishing the Poisonwood Bible, then on to fairy tales by Tolstoy), but it was really quite nice--I love talking to pretty much anyone here. It came up later when at lunch Taras stopped by to ask Desi and I if there was anything we'd like to eat that was American food--hamburgers, cheesburgers, anything from McDonald's he could bring for us (awesome, innit, that they all think we eat at McDonald's even though I can't even remember the last time I was there). I talked with Desiree, and we decided the only thing we might need is more peanut butter, if he could find it when we finished ours--which, Olga jumped in, would be very soon at the speed I was eating it out of my jar with my finger!
Today we led our first classes, too. We taught the kids "Animal Farm" (where you make animal noises to find your group with your eyes closed) and "Steal the Bacon;" with one of the groups we also did the human knot activity, and gave out stickers to the winners of each. Invariably, they ended up wanting to play Pioneerball (as in old Soviet Pioneer camp Pioneerball), which is played on a volleyball court. You throw the ball back and forth and the other team scores a point when you drop it. The only catch--after you catch the ball you can only take 3 steps before throwing.
It's interesting--with the younger groups, the more players you have the worse you do, since they're all jump at the same time and the ball STILL hits the ground.
It's going to be hard to remember everyone's name, so I think I'll make a quick post for those I can remember. It'll help me keep in line counselors and staff and all the rest.
As for today, we have one more lesson, and then I hope mom'll call tonight, even though we have a discotheque (for all you old French speakers out there) and we're going to planyorka too. Oh! And tomorrow Desi and I have to have a song memorized (in Russian AND in English) to sing for Den' Mira. (Day of Peace)

[PS. Carolina--day 3, picture 59 (sitting at Karate) and 15 (origami--ps do they pick the worst pictures on purpose? =P I'm just thankful to get in a shot here and there so mom knows I'm alive)
Also--Olya went to Moscow today, and all I asked her to buy me was a roll of toilet paper and some detergent for washing clothes. Living the simple life. =) ]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jackie, You have maid service???Not bad for a camp!!! You better start rationing your peanut butter, I thought they didn't have that in Russia. Do they not supply you with TP??? Love You, Mom

Anonymous said...

Not so much a maid service as a nice talkative woman who came in, slopped water on our floors, and then mopped it up. And by mop I mean big towel attached to the end of a stick. Brooms here generally consist of a bundle of twigs tied around a longer stick, so I'm not really surprised.
Taras brought us some peanut butter! We're saving it, but we about tackled him with a hug and shrieked like little kids when he pulled it out of the plastic bag. I think if it comes down to my journal or the peanut butter if our room catches on fire, I'll be saving the peanut butter.
TP we have, but since ours is a communal bathroom with the other female counselors and most of the first-floor girls it runs out from time to time. No big deal.
-Jackie